Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Yarn Speaks

That yarn that jumped out of my stash and spoke to me the other day spoke well, very well indeed.















I might be madly in love with this scarf.  It's very loosely based on a scrap yarn shawl I found on Pinterest.  I really love the single red stripe.  The shawl on pinterest had a small gauge but several row deep crocheted edging on it which was fabulous and I had planned to add an edging like that to this scarf but I like it enough now that I'm afraid if I mess with it I won't like it so much later.  I sort of want to keep it and I sort of want to give it to a friend of mine who found out this week that she's getting laid off at the end of the school year and it's going to be really, really tough for her and her family.  My heart goes out to her.  Lots of us are getting laid off but her situation is worse than some of the rest of us.  When things go badly for my friends I can give them hugs and kind words but so often I find that I give them knitting.  It's what I know how to do and it gives me comfort and I can only hope that it gives them comfort too.  I hope they know that when they wear something I've knit for them they're wearing my good wishes and love, my respect for them and my caring.  A scarf is a small thing but the intentions knit into it are large.

No comments:

Post a Comment