Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tutorial - Fix a Miss-Crossed Cable After the Fact

FAIL!  I was blocking a vest I had made for a friend when I saw it . . . a miscrossed cable at the very bottom of the bottom up vest.


If you have ever thought you were done with a project (that might have taken you 2 major false starts already anyway) and discovered a nasty error like this you know the sinking feeling you get in your stomach.  

But there was no putting this vest in time out because it's for a friend and I really want to give it to her so I had a sit down and thought about how to fix it.  I decided to wait until I had a time in the morning, when I was well rested and had good light and then I would cut it, pick it, twist it the right way, kitchener it back together and see what would come of it.  I had nothing to loose.

Here's how I did it.

First - supplies.  Tea or coffee or other comforting beverage of your choice; extra yarn; double pointed needles smaller than those you needed for your project; yarn needle; courage.







Turn your piece over and grab the bar of the miss-crossed cable with one of the double pointed needles.


Using the other double point I chose to find the strand of yarn further away from the cable rather than right next to the cable so I could make my cut away from the seed stitch that is next to the cable since I didn't fancy doing kitchener stitch in the seed stitch and I needed to leave enough of a tail to have room to sew in once my repair was complete.

Now for the scary part - cut the yarn.  There's nothing you can do but hold your breath, hope you've got the right strand of yarn and make the cut.  Remember, if this doesn't work you've got to re-knit or do something else anyway so really, how much do you have to loose? 
Unpick the yarn going back to your cable problem and for several stitches on the other side of your cut so you'll have a tail to weave in later.  Put the stitches on your double points as you go with the right side facing you.  
NOTE:  When you get to the cable cross, make sure to untwist them and the re-twist them in the correct direction before you put them on the double point.



Now use the kitchener stitch to repair the hole.  There are lots of great instructions on the internet on how to do the kitchener stitch so I won't go into detail on that here.  I got this.









Weave in the 4 ends you should have on the back of your piece and . . .










Voila!  A little knitting magic is born.


Good luck with your own knitting fixes.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm so glad you did because then I had to come check out your blog and wow did I learn a cool technique for fixing the cable. That's amazing and you are so brave to CUT the yarn. :) I am going to pin this so I can refer to it. Thanks for sharing and explaining your process so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - talk about a BRAVE knitter!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I have issues with the words scissors & knitting when used in the same sentence!
    Glad you visited me - because now I have found YOU! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog. In case you want the wristlet/cuff pattern, you can find it at http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/miscell/beaded-lace-cuffs.html

    And a big thank you for the cable fix tutorial. I haven't gotten over the fear of cutting my knitting but I'll have your tutorial to give me courage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shizzle! VERY nicely done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY! I found so many tutorials for ripping back to fix a cable, but it's just too late for me to do that! This is exactly what I was looking for! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete