Saturday, December 3, 2011

Catch Up

Boy do I need to spend some time taking photos and updating my Ravelry projects.  I don't like it when I make something and give it away so fast that I forget to take pictures.  If I had any non-knitting time I'd be a scrapbooker.  I love keeping records. But since I don't have time that I want to spend on it I'm just forever grateful for Ravelry.  What would happen if Ravelry went down?  I'm trying to figure out a way to backup my pages just in case.

I did have a paper scrapbook that I started in the early 90's when I started knitting in earnest.  I'll never forget the colorwork headband that started it all (the knitting - not the scrapbooking).  I had made a scarf, a pair of mittens and one sock that turned out Christmas stocking sized.  Then two things happened that changed my life forever.  I got two magazines.  One was this VK dated 1990.
 I loved several of the sweaters and especially a little legging, sweater, hat set modeled by a little girl who looked to be about 5.  I was absolutely smitten with the idea that I could make beautiful things like these clothes.

The second thing was related to my second knitting magazine ever.  I got a copy of a Knitter's Magazine that had a Peruvian styled, color work headband with ear flaps.  As my husband and I lay in bed to keep warm while reading one night in our $24,000-1910-fixer-upper-home-next-to-the-cemetery-with-no-cable-and-not-much-heat, I showed him the headband and told him how much I liked it.  His reply, which we don't remember verbatim, must have seemed doubtful because my reply, which we do remember verbatim and which is still a catch phrase in our family, was, "I CAN KNIT THAT!"  Which of course means, "Don't throw down that challenge mister because I darn well will do whatever it is that you think I can't do!"  I never did knit that particular headband but I promptly became a capital K Knitter and I've never slowed down save the occasional loss of mojo here or there.

But I digress.  I love looking back into my scrapbook.  I have pictures of sweaters I made when we lived in Colorado which means I have pictures of the houses we lived in in Colorado and the dogs we had there and the xeriscaped yard.  I have pictures of friends I can't even find on Facebook and their kids and the sweaters and blankets I knit for those kids.  I have pictures of the easiest things I've ever knit and the hardest; my favorite patterns and those I would never knit again.  So soon, I need to get the camera out and take pictures of all this Christmas knitting before I give it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment