Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Might Not Be A Spinner

This summer I took a spinning class with a friend.  It's the second time I've tried so in the spirit of the Knitmore Girls 3 Bites I've still got one more chance.  But here's the thing.  I love to spin the yarn.  It's relaxing, fun and as a friend put it, a different kind of zen than knitting is.  But somehow I thought the yarn was going to be different, special, better and I really feel it's nice but not incredible and I don't know what to do with it.
Here's the headband I made with my very first yarn - not suprisingly a thick/thin yarn.
This is my favorite yarn so far of the 3 I've produced. Even though it was a bit felty and hard to spin I really liked the product and I was pretty pumped up on the spinning.


Next I did a multi-color thing.  I know all you excellent spinners could have placed the yarn so the colors didn't all run together and get muddy like mine did but I'm not that skilled yet and I just wanted to practice spinning.  I didn't get much but I liked the thickness of it so I made this cowl.

Yeah, boring stockinette stitch cowl and a crappy picture but I wanted my pretty handspun to show and I'm going to add something to the edges to liven it up.  But you know what?  I don't like the yarn very much.  Yeah - it's okay.  I might have bought it on sale but I'm not that keen on it really.


Soooo - 
For my next endeavor I went back to a solid color.  I've got a beautiful dark orange color coming out thinner and more evenly which will be fabulous for fall.  I understand you kind of can't help but get thinner and more even although I prefer making the bulky and thick and thin so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it in the stores.


That leaves me kind of on the fence about the whole spinning thing.  My wheel rental ends September 7th and school is starting so I'll be done for now and again, in the spirit of the 3 Bites, I'll try it again before too long but for right now, I might not be a spinner.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried spinning, so more power to you! Do you buy the wool already dyed or did you do that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely buy the wool all prepped, dyed and ready to go. I haven't graduated to any of that fun stuff yet.

    ReplyDelete