Sunday, May 16, 2010

On Time and Monogomy

Lately I've had a couple of knitting fails. 

I made the first of the purple cable socks for my Mom but it seemed a bit big to me.  So although I started the second I wisely decided to wait until she tried on the first before I finished the second and boy am I glad I did because it was way too big around the leg and it wasn't going to work out.  I figure that took about 15 hours.  I haven't ripped it out because maybe I can think of someone with a big leg and foot that it would fit.

On Friday I started a pair of ankle socks for my 7 year old daughter.  I was on a school bus trip with my son - 2.5 hours of prime knitting time on the bus.  For 8 hours we were at an amusement park where I spent a good 3 hours knitting and watching people go by and guarding stuffed animals and wet clothes.  5.5 hours of knitting time on a sock for my daughter but before I finished the toe I decided to let her try it on and I'm glad I did because it was too small.  I ripped it out to start again on Saturday during a 2 1/2 hour car ride.

So here's my question.  What happened to that time?  On the one hand it's lost time.  Wasted.  Because the products I thought I would have at the end of those 20.5 hours weren't there.  Then again I do consider myself a process knitter and I enjoy the act of knitting so didn't I enjoy those 20.5 hours and gain some personal benfit from them?  So maybe they weren't wasted.  And as I sat in the amusement park I was chaperoning and watching all the people so by double tasking those hours I was still doing something and they weren't wasted.  And all that car riding was just car riding - nothing lost there.  But it nags at me.  All those hours of knitting with nothing to show.  All those stitches and my hands are tired and nothing to show.  Then again, isn't a beautiful thing that I could pull that second sock out and re-knit the yarn into a sock that does fit?  Isn't that just neat?  I'm not sure what happens to that knitting time but I suppose it will happen sometimes and it's not going to keep me from knitting of course.

On project Monogomy I have this to say.  I think it's a cool idea but I can't do it.  Not only do my hands get sore from working with the size 1s all the time and I need to switch to a project with larger needles for a while but I'm socked out for now.  I love lots and lots of projects going so I can pick and choose depending on my mood.  In fact, maybe I'll cast something new on after dinner.  So there.

1 comment:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're saying, and I feel the same way. The more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete