Saturday, March 6, 2010

What the Ravelympics Did for Me

The Ravelympics got me reading again!  Huh?  Yup.  I got my first project done and was thrilled.  Today I'll get that little sweater for the baby into the mail.  I must!  Then I got a lot done on the front of my Alpaca V-neck but I can tell you exactly where I broke down.  My folks and my Uncle and his girlfriend were over visiting and I was knitting away as we talked.  When I got to the armhole bindoffs and had to pay attention so I set it down so as not to be rude.  That was the last I've seen of that project.  It sat on the floor in the living room for a couple days right where I had been sitting.  Then I put it in it's bag and it hasn't come back since.  I started reading some Jasper Fforde books instead as recommended by Dr. Gemma of the Cogknitive podcast and my mother-in-law.  Those books are fabulous!  Mystery, action, fantasy with  more literary references than I managed to catch, I'm sure.  There's a character in them called Mr. Runcible Spoon.  Seriously?  I love Edward Lear - that's pure magic.  They're funny and intriguing and smart all at once and I highly recommend them. The first book is called the Eyre Affair and the second was Lost in a Good Book.  Now I'm keen to get to the library and find some more although my son had a copy of Into Thin Air and I've started that.

Since I became this rabid knitter I really stopped reading so much and that sort of bummed me out.  But now I'm reading a lot and not knitting much and that's bumming me out.  Sometimes I can do both at once but right now I don't have the concentration ability for that.  Where do I find that elusive balance?  Do I set a timer?  30 minutes of reading then 30 minutes of knitting?  That seems a bit goofy.

And . . . out of the frying pan and into the fire.  If the Ravelympics were too much pressure for me you'd figure I wouldn't give myself anymore deadline knitting.  Right?  Wrong!  I heard "they" were looking for a little extra favor for the staff at my daughter's elementary school (which I love love) and in my infinite wisdom I offered to knit cup cozies.  72 cup cozies!  Am I out of my mind.  It's not as bad as it seems.  I teach knitting to a group of kids from the school and a few of the parents so I recruited them.  The kids were quite keen to help and I hope each of them can do 1 or 2 but it's totally bonus if they do so I'm preparing to make bunches and bunches of them.  We're just doing a 6 1/2 inch strip of garter which I'm then seeming up.  They look cute!
One of the kids made the one on the right.  I think it will make some teacher very happy.  I'm going to put a Starbuck's Via packet in each cup, a tea bag and a hot chocolate packet.  Starbuck's is giving me a nice discount on the Via packets (that's their new instant coffee) and they're donating the cups which is great.  I'm going to use Paul Newman's RoyalTea tea bags too. 

So yes, I'm reading but still knitting too.  If you like books with strong women, mystery, fantasy, humour and literary references definitely check out Jasper Fforde's books. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment