Sunday, March 7, 2010

Now I Remember

Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't read anymore.  I realized today when my daughter needed something and I had to put my book down again.  It's much easier to put your knitting down that it is to keep stopping a book.  That's why I started knitting so much when the kids were young and stopped reading so much.  I'm just really really bad at putting a book down but I can set my knitting down mid-row.  I have no will power when it comes to a good book.  Maybe that's what an alcoholic feels like if they have a drink - they can't have just one.  If I'm reading a book I can't just read one chapter.  It's all or nothing for me and I can't stop reading until I'm done.  Considering that the kids still like to eat several times a day I suppose I'd better wait a while now before I dive into another good book.  And I didn't get much knitting done this weekend either.

I did, however, finish Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and it was amazing.  It reads like an action adventure story and you can't believe it's non-fiction.  The characters are bigger than life and it certainly strips away the romantic mystique of Everest.  I love hiking.  We went backpacking above tree line in British Columbia for our honeymoon and it was magical.  Sleeping in a tent on New Year's Eve was one of the most memorable nights of my life if largely for the sound of the silence.  And I have daydreamed about big mountains.  My sister-in-law has actually done some real mountain climbing and rock climbing and I toyed with asking her to take me some time but a little tiny crevasse at the top of some bouldering in the "Gunks" of New York State took care of any rock climbing aspirations I might have had.  I was scared up there although I did manage it and in fact went back and did it a second time. 

For now it's back to knitting.  I've got 52 more coffee cozies to go unless the kids really come through and if I get them done fast enough I'd like to add some embroidering and beads and embellishments to some of the more plain ones.  But tonight I think I'll go browse Ravelry.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment