Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yummy Yummy Yarns

Projects
My stash is singing a siren song to me, probably because I''m being project monogomous for the first time in my life due to the Ravelympics.  I'm currently beavering away on my alpaca v-neck pullover which is going to be yummy.  Without some serious hours though, I don't know that I can do it.  I did have to do a couple other things today like buy some food since mother hubbard's cupboards were bare.  I love trying to use up the last of things but the kids wanted milk and apples - dang them!  I also made some ROCKIN' yummy (speaking of yummy) granola called Megan's Granola from the All Recipes site.  Here's the Linky but you might have to sign up to get to it.  It's free and this is my go-to site for everyday cooking. 

Musings
I'm musing on my stash.  I don't have projects picked out really for the yarns yet but I'm dying to work with them.  Even the Homespun blankets are calling to me.  I guess I really don't care for project monogomy although if I get this sweater done it will be worth it.

Here's my most recent acquistion.  Some super yummy alpaca from our trip to North Creek, NY (Gore Mountain Skiing) last week.  It's probably going to be a lace scarf for me.  It would match my ski coat too although I didn't buy it with that in mind.  It comes from a beautiful animal named Jenny.  It's all natural colors and the shading is spectacular.  These lovely folks win lots of ribbons for their alpacas and it's beautiful how the animals respond to the farm owners.  There really seemed to be some mutual admiration and respect between human and animal going on while we visited.
Here's a cute picture of my little 4 year old friend waving to the alpacas. 
Did you know that alpacas all go to the bathroom in one place?  Apparently that's so no single animal leaves a scent or trail.  The kids thought that was really cool.

And here are 4 incredibly yummy yarns I got from a super nice woman at Peace, Love & Yarn when she was doing a show in Oneida, NY.  Seriously I could have talked to her for hours.  She was fascinating and kind and had great prices and most importantly I loved the way she puts colors together.  The blues were beautiful too but I had run out of money when I was shopping with her.  You can check her out at http://www.peaceloveyarn.com/.

This is some sort of awesomeness.  I have 780 yards of it in purples and greens and I can't wait to do something amazing with it.  I hesitate to do another shawl until I finish my Maplewing and see if I actually use it.  Other than that, it is a washable and would make a great kids sweater or maybe even something lacy for me.  I'll have to research it.  Hey Teach might work.  It calls for a worsted but I might be able to figure that out.  I'd have to swatch it.  The colors might now do well with the lace.
This is a fun yarn colorwise.  It's a bit pinky and young for me probably but this one's not washable so I've really no idea what I'm going to do with it yet but the dye job is so darn beautiful that I couldn't resist.  Any ideas anyone?
Oh gorgeous sage green alpaca laceweight.  I have 500 yards which I think will be a scarf for my sister in law who has a jacket just this color.
And finally some more sockweight superwash merino and Rayon of Bamboo (whatever that is).  These are incredible shades of green and this is asking to be a pair of Cookie A, Kai Mei socks for me.  I love love love that swirl of lace across the foot.  Genius!  Rav link to Kai-Mei.  I may have to make them shorter as they call for 450 yds and I have 400 but between gauge and mods I'm sure I can work it out.  I'm a woman with a vision!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled show.

P.S.  The kids are sleeping with jammies on inside out and spoons under their pillows hoping for a snow day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment